Top Safety Tips For Gulf Coast Home Remodeling
Before you start a Gulf Coast home remodeling project or a home addition it is important to take the necessary steps to protect yourself, your family, your property, and your belongings. You will need to think about safety when construction materials and tools are in the area being remodeled. You will also need to think about protecting your family when there are strangers in your home to do the work. Don’t forget that your property is more vulnerable to intruders when it is under construction. By using the safety steps in this article when you remodel or build a home addition, you should be well protected.
- Talk to your insurance agent and be sure you have enough insurance to protect you and your home during a construction project and to protect your investment when the project is complete. You might find that an umbrella policy is the best choice. But be sure you are protected against loss, theft, fire, and personal injury claims. If you have reason to question the ability of your Gulf Coast remodeling contractor to complete the job, be sure someone is carrying insurance or a bond on the cost of finishing the job.
- Make sure the rest of your house is securely closed off from the construction area. This protects your family and your possessions and makes it more difficult for someone to accidentally wander into the construction area where they could be hurt.
- Take steps to keep children and pets out of the construction area at all times. Whether this means teaching or training, creating barriers, or having someone with children and pets at all times, it is vital that they be protected from accidents, injury or danger. Talk with your contractor about steps that can be taken to keep the construction area as safe as possible at all times and about talking to workers about checking for the presence of children when dangerous work is being done. It is also a good idea to either walk your pet during construction or to create a fenced area for your pet during this time.
- Create a plan to have an adult check around the property and the work area at the end of each work day to be certain all tools, equipment and debris has been properly secured for the night. This will help you protect curious neighborhood children from harm on your property.
- Never leave your children at home alone (without an adult) when strangers are on the property. Know as much as you can about the people who will work on your project.
- Remove valuables from your home during construction. Put these items in a safe deposit box or leave them with a friend or family member during construction.
- If you and your family must leave the home during construction (all day, for example), don’t leave your pet unattended. Your pet might be frightened by the strange and loud noises.
- Cover or fence off valuable plants and create a walkway from the place materials are stored to the work area. This will limit damage to your landscaping.
- If doing any work on your remodel or addition, always wear appropriate protective goggles and clothing.
Taking these steps to protect yourself, your family, and your property will ensure that your Gulf Coast home remodeling or addition project will be safe and happy.